About this role
Social Support Volunteers provide assistance and one-to-one support by visiting the client in their home which may include help with shopping, accompanying the client to medical appointments, or just a cup of coffee and a chat.
Social Support Volunteers may also support clients to participate while on accompanied activities.
Volunteer Requirements –
- Caring and empathetic towards people with health issues
- Enjoy spending time listening and talking with people
- Mature approach and interest in people
- Willing to attend outings or visit weekly or fortnightly
- Able to commit to visiting for 6 months or more
- Keep in regular contact with the Social Support Worker
- Over 18 years of age (over 16 years old may be considered)
- You may be bilingual
Volunteer Benefits –
- Training, information and resources
- Continuing support and guidance from the Social Support Worker
- National Police Check Certificate*
- Willing to attend First Aid Training
- Provide details of Driver’s Licence and Comprehensive Car Insurance ( if transporting clients)
*Can be arranged through Chester Hill Neighbourhood Centre depending on the candidate’s suitability for the role
About the Program
The Social Support Program is an Australian Government funded program that aims to assist people aged 65 who are socially isolated and lonely to continue living independently in their own homes. Some special needs groups can vary in age.